Tuesday 20 April 2010

Come and Eat!!


Lately every time I put food on the table my 3 year old lets out the biggest sigh.... oh no not fish, ohhhh no not this, not that, which is just what you want to hear when you've spent time making a healthy home cooked well balanced meal for your family. When I ask him what he wants to eat, it's usually pancakes or cereal!
The other night after whipping up some home made pasta carbornara and hearing Alfred's ohhh nej! yet again, I had a flash back from my own childhood. I grew up with a steak and potatoes two veg, salad and garlic bread dad, and each night when sitting down to this feast all I really wanted and longed for was macaroni and cheese from a box. The brand in Canada is called Kraft Dinner, my dad renamed it Crap Dinner. (that's his thing he has nicknames for everyone and everything)
Anyway one night my dad was playing in a baseball tournament, and therefore my mom was happy to make us kids this 10 min meal. I was so excited I asked if I could have a friend from down the street over for dinner- sure goes mom. I race outside and invite my friend, he replies what are you having, I say with great enthusiasm Kraft Dinner. My friend lets out a sigh and says uhhh no thanks we have that all the time. I said okay and turned around to make my way slowly back home, head hanging, sad not to have the company, but mostly I was thinking wow! That kid must be the luckiest guy in the world!

So, here I am serving up food that just can't compete with Crap Dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment