Sunday 19 February 2012

Easy like Sunday morning

I'm nearly done " The Guernsey literary and potato peel pie society" and I'm living it in my head! I'm putting the dishes in the dishwasher and I am picturing the island and the lovely cottage that Elisabeth lived in. The beauty of the novel is it's format. The entire story is told through letters written back and forth between the authoress Juliet, her friends, and the islanders just after ww2.

The letters are like liquid poetry, they conjure up such vivid images that you almost convince yourself you've been to the places they are describing. Which made me think about my iPhone with it's fb app, what's up app, twitter, and SMS. All of which pale in comparison to the eloquent composition between the characters in this book.

Years ago Annelie surprised me with an old fashion typewriter that they found in a flea market in soleftea, and for months after that I used it to type up letters and notes to friends and family. At first the unmistakeable sound of a key striking the paper was sporadic to begin with, but I dare say as with most things, the more I pressed on the more fluid and often the sessions became. That summer I ran into my neighbor in our common courtyard and it was there I was asked the question... "are you working on a novel" ? The rest of the day I found myself walking a little taller. Just the idea of taking on such a feat was enough for me and (still is today), however I miss my little typewriter! It ran out of ribbon and I put it away on the shelf until I could order some more. I'm afraid it hasn't made it out of the box since then. But hopefully , that will all change, and it will once again be perched on my desk near the window in my new office.

Henke came home with small black box the other day, it was screaming for some creative decoupage attention, and now I know what it will house: my stationery for all those notes that hopefully will be banged out on my vintage typewriter!

I'm excited just thinking about that lovely strike sound again! Not to mention the delightful ding at the end of each sentence, as if it were a positive reinforcement to keep on going;)

No comments:

Post a Comment