Saturday 18 February 2012

Inspiration

The fact that we are moving has started to sink in.... Lately, I've been dragging my feet about it, piling up the lists of "to do lists"in my head. But after a short fika with the wonderful Anna this past Thursday I've readjusted my faulty perspective and have begun to see all of the exciting adventures and moments ahead that accompany the task of setting up a home. I've decided that this time round, our home is going to tell our story, who we are and how we live. The things that evoke memories of dear ones and fond moments will receive a place of honor in our new home. It was because of Anna, and the tour I was giving her of the apartment that I realized ... Our home can tell our story and I found myself smiling both on the inside and the outside remembering things that these objects triggered and, that my friends, is what I want to take with us in the new flat. The curio cabinet that Annelie, Maria and I found at the gnistan loppis, how Annelie found a great 1930's sideboard for her sweaters and how poor Oscar had to cut a hole in the wall going up the stairs in order to move it. ( thank goodness they were in the middle of renovating and the stairs were on the list;) The handcrafted chair that we inherited from morfar Behard a testament of his kindness to whom my twin boys share their middle name after. The glasses hauled all the way from Canada in my mother suitcases, the sewing cart in teak that my mother organized for me and fixed the tough drawer by rubbing a bar of soap on the edges of the side pieces. A trick taught to her by my paternal grandfather: Joseph a carpenter and truly the most resourceful and inventive thinker I have ever met in my life. The red glass strawberries bought at the loppis with my girls, remembering the coffee and muffins shared under the shade of a large tree at the loppis in ronneby brunn as we talked about our week, planned for the next, showed each other our finds and anticipated the next trip around the tables. I come to think of the Danish melamine camping set in cream orange and brown that I found for Zoe. And how months later I was overjoyed to hear that her and her family used them everyday of their camping trip. Knowing that when she uses these plates she might also recall the shade of that giant oak gives me that warm and fuzzy feeling.

Last week I created one of these memories with Asa J, Sylvia, Zoe and myself while we set up the wallpaper in my soon to be office. We had the music on and as always when the women in my life get together we laugh and drink of each others positive energy!! I'm secretly hoping that some of it fastened itself in the wallpaper glue and will taint the atmosphere so that every thing I write in that room will be laced with that priceless glow of all those evenings spent with the amazing friends in my life.
The adventure has begun and I'm ready for it!

1 comment:

  1. Julia, wonderful you! Your things and you as a person inspire me so much! Gooood luck with your new home. I have no doubt, whatsoever, that your home will be the most fantastic place in whole Kallekrona!

    Love from Hometown//Anna

    ReplyDelete